Detailed admission requirements
For acceptance to the 1.5 year Master of Arts Degree, MA Design in collaboration with the University of Chester, students must meet the same requirements as students applying to the University of Chester. Applicant’s qualities and skills will be assessed through examination of: Proof of Design Studies, Certification of English skills, Academic Ability. Applicants may be required to have a phone interview before an offer of a place can be made.
To apply to the 1.5 year Master Degree we require:
1. English skills- As listed below. *Students of English speaking countries can obtain a waiver.
2. Design Studies- An extensive portfolio of design works is required. The courses in the Chester MA DESIGN are mostly self-lead research with ‘critically written essays’ There is a September start only. Students enrolled to the MA DESIGN master are required to attend also parts of the 1 year Master courses as required by their visa.
3. A scan of your passport or EU Identification.
4. Academic Ability- as defined below
4.1 Those without a bachelor degree in design must submit a portfolio of professional design work.
5. Essay 1. An example of a ‘critically written essay/w bibliography’ in English.
6. Essay 2: A ‘statement of intent’ essay. This is a proposal of what type of design investigation you plan to investigate during the MA. (area of design).
-Academic Ability/ High School. The requirments for vary for every country. UK students need a Level 6 Bachelor Degree with good grades for entry.
All international students should see the University of Chester web site for Minimum Postgraduate Requirements. Please contact us if your country is not listed.
-Certification of English skills can be proven by any of the exams below. Students not qualified with language skills may enroll for the 1yr Diploma and later try to apply after meeting the required English level. Students with borderline English skills may still be accepted but would need to enroll to intensive classes prior. Note English exam certificates expire after 2 years.
IELTS Score of 6.5 or
IELTS score of 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band),
PTE Academic with overall score of 57 and no less than 51 in any component
Cambridge ESOL -overall score of C
Cambridge Advanced (CAE): grade of A or B
Cambridge Proficiency English (CPE): Grade C
IGCSE First Language English with a grade C or above
IB Diploma: International Baccalaureate:
-IB English A1 or A2 (Standard or Higher Level) – Grade 4
-IB English B (Higher Level) - Grade 4
-IB English B (Standard Level) - Grade 5
TOEFL 550- *Applicants putting forward a TOEFL Qualification must undergo a face to face or Skype interview.
TOEFL 72 (internet based) with the following minimum scores in each component: listening 17, reading 18, speaking 20, writing 17
English Official Language
Applicants who are nationals of the following countries are permitted to submit high school grades for English Language in lieu of English tests.
UK, USA, Antigua, Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago,
* Students who are not nationals of the above but have completed highschool in the above nations may also request a waiver.
TOEIC Exams are not accepted*
-Portfolio and Essay Requirement- A portfolio of 'design training' is needed to qualify. Concept statements should be included in your portfolio PDF. Students without certified artistic training, but have a portfolio of creative work will also be considered.
The research course work will involve extensive ‘critical essay' writing' and applicants must submit an example of a design essay/w bibliography’ in English.
This course is validated by the University of Chester.