health insurance

Anyone from outside the EU needs to have private medical insurance for the duration of their stay.  Proof of this is necessary to obtain both your visa and a residency permit (permesso). There are many student travel agencies that sell these policies. Proof of health insurance will also be required for those needing to obtain a student visa.

Some Italian Consultes, (specifically in the US and Mexico) often require students to purchase insurance plans issued by Insurance companies based in Italy.


The premium cost : 150€ per student for 12 months of basic coverage. The Florence Institute offers a Health insurance plan though The Generali Insurance Company. The FIDI plan covers hospital emergencies that require recovery (no hospital visits/routine checks, etc.). Contact us for information on how to purchased the plan. The plan in particular it covers:

- Expenses maintained by the insured for emergency hospital treatment made necessary by emergency room sickness or accident;
- Emergency hospital treatment, i.e. any and all services rendered by a hospital (with or without hospitalization) and required as a result of a diagnosis made by a doctor at the hospital emergency room.

If you are already in Italy we recommend a basic plan from the Post Office/ POSTA Italiana. The price Is very convenient at 49,00 Euro for 6 months or 12 months at 98,00 Euro.

To buy an Generali Italia S.p.A. policy from an Italian post office make a deposit to the following:
Account Number: 71270003
Generali Italia S.p.A.
Causale: polizza sanitaria stranieri


Health insurance plans by non-Italian companies are sold online. These firms provide. comprehensive coverage at reasonable rates but be sure to ask the Italian Consulate first if they are acceptable since FIDI is not able to issue refunds or credits for these plans:

eu citizens

Anyone who is citizen or resident in an EU country (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom as well as Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) is entitled to a  European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which allows access to medical services that are necessary during the stay in Italy.
The European Health Insurance Card is recognizable in all EU countries as Member States use the same design, bearing a European symbol. The aim is to ensure that the European Health Insurance Card is immediately recognized by doctors or health centers.  The European Health Insurance Card contains a certain amount of obligatory information, presented in a standardized way so that the European Health Insurance Card can be read whatever the holder's language. It is important to apply for one of these cards before you travel to Italy. You can do this by contacting your local health service or by searching online for an application form relevant to your country. Information on

medical care in florence


See the Map of Florence for options on medical centers in the city of Florence